Launching your site
Congratulations on building your site!
To make sure that your site is launch-ready, please review the following pre-launch content checklist and logistics.
Pre-launch content checklist:
- Have you renamed/removed all default content/pages that aren’t needed in your site?
- Do your homepage and footer blocks have the correct content?
- Have you replaced or deleted all placeholder images?
- Do your images have descriptive alternative text (“alt text”) where necessary to support accessibility?
- Do your “Read More” links point to the correct pages, and do those target pages have the correct content?
- Have you checked all menu links?
- Is your content ready to be “frozen” for the duration of the launch process?
- Have you had your content reviewed for tone, accuracy and grammar?
- Does your site need to be approved by anyone prior to launch?
- Do you need to create redirects for any specific pages from your old existing website (if applicable)?
- Have you requested a vanity URL (e.g. http://mysite.stanford.edu) if one does not already exist? (Note: Stanford Web Services will handle the switchover for you once your site is ready to launch)
- Have you configured Google Analytics for your new site?
- Have you archived your analytics data for your old site (if applicable)?
- Have you determined what to do with your old website? Do you want to have it archived in any way?
- If you are moving from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9, are you ready to archive or delete the Drupal 7 site?
- Have you prepared necessary communications for your audience regarding the launch of your site?
Ready to launch?
After you have completed the pre-launch content checklist and have logistics in order, you are ready to launch your site.
How to launch a self-service site
Simply create a vanity URL, which is a short and descriptive URL that will redirect in the browser to your new site at (yoursitename).sites.stanford.edu.
Launching a high visibility or high traffic site? SWS can help you create a proxy URL and ensure a smooth experience. Contact us via our launch request form as early as possible to schedule assistance.
How to launch a custom site
If you are a client, you will receive assistance from your project team in Stanford Web Services, including Google Analytics, redirects setup, testing, vhost request and post-launch monitoring.Submit a custom site launch request