Site Launch Checklist
Congratulations on building your new site!
To make sure that your site is launch-ready, please review the following pre-launch content checklist and logistics.
Pre-launch content checklist
- Have you renamed/removed all default content/pages that aren’t needed on your site?
- Do your homepage and footer blocks have the correct content?
- Are your headings in a logical order?
- Have you replaced or deleted all placeholder images?
- Do your images have descriptive alternative text (“alt text”) where necessary to support accessibility?
- Do your “Read More” links point to the correct pages and do those target pages have the correct content?
- Have you checked all menu links?
- Is your content ready to be “frozen” for the duration of the launch process?
- Have you had your content reviewed for tone, accuracy, and grammar?
- Does your site need to be approved by anyone prior to launch?
- Do you need to create redirects for any specific pages from your old website (if applicable) to ensure users can still find key content?
- Have you requested a vanity URL (e.g. http://mysite.stanford.edu) if one does not already exist? (Note: Stanford Web Services will handle the switchover for you once your site is ready to launch.)
- Have you configured Google Analytics for your new site?
- Have you archived your analytics data for your old site (if applicable)?
- Have you prepared necessary communications for your audience regarding the launch of your site?
- Do you want to request that a copy of your old website be stored by the Stanford Web Archiving Service?
- Have you saved a copy of any old content or files that have not been moved to the new website that you may want to access later?
- Are you prepared to archive or delete the old Drupal 7 website? (See the note below for information on why this is important.)
Ready to launch?
After you complete the pre-launch content checklist and logistics are in order, you are ready to launch your site.
How to launch a self-service site
Simply create a vanity URL, which is a short and descriptive URL that will redirect in the browser to your new site at (yoursitename).sites.stanford.edu.
Launching a high visibility or high traffic site? SWS can help you create a proxy URL and ensure a smooth experience. Contact us via our launch request form as early as possible to schedule assistance.
How to launch a custom site
If you are a client, you will receive assistance from your project team in Stanford Web Services, including Google Analytics, redirects setup, testing, vhost request and post-launch monitoring.Submit a custom site launch request
Not sure which path is best for you? Request help via the Services portal.
Important note: advance notice of two weeks or more is required, and launches are scheduled on Tuesdays through Thursdays only to allow sufficient time to prepare and monitor. During peak periods, some dates may not be available. When you are ready, simply submit the Request Site Launch Form, and a team member will respond to coordinate the launch details.
Retiring your old website
After June 30, 2022, the Stanford Sites Drupal 7 service will be retired and any sites remaining on the service will no longer be available. To avoid interruption in service, request the removal of unused or old Drupal 7 websites on Stanford Sites once a new Drupal 9 site has replaced it.
Stanford Web Services can assist with removing the Drupal 7 site as part of your launch request, or you can submit a separate request to delete a website through the form below.Submit a request to delete your website