With Publications for Stanford Sites, you can list books, journal articles, news and magazine articles, and thesis dissertations using APA or Chicago citation styles. This includes the ability to link out to an external URL or to a detailed individual publication page.
A default list page with a filter by topics bar for Publications is available. Additionally, publications can be added to any page via the Lists Paragraph type and displayed in either APA or Chicago format.
Adding a Publication
- In the Administrative Toolbar, select Manage (if needed), then hover over All Content > Add Content and click Publication.
- Add required publication Title.
- In the Citation Information section, choose your desired publication type and click Add Citation.
The “Other” citation style can be used for publications in-review, interviews, and white papers for faculty, students, and postdocs. You can use taxonomy terms in conjunction with the "Other" citation style to create custom lists of these types of publications.
- Depending on the publication type selected, additional citation information fields will appear (e.g. Author, Date, External Link, etc.). Once you have filled those fields to your liking, click Create Citation.
- Note on adding an External Link: By adding an external URL, all listings of the publication will link to the external source instead of a page on your website.
- In the Publication Topic Terms section, add previously-created Publication Topic Terms as desired. See Publications Taxonomy for more information.
- In the Components section, you can add paragraphs and content to your individual publication page. Note: this page will only display if no external link is added into Citation Information. Here is an example page, which lists the citation information, taxonomy terms, and components of a Banner and Text Area.
- Add optional Call to Action Button.
- Click Save.
You can see a listing of your publications in the Content admin page. From this page, you can also add, edit, or delete publications.
- In the Administrative Toolbar, select Manage (if needed), then click on All Content.
- In the filter section, click on the arrow under Content type and select Publication.
- Click Filter to show a list of all Publications created using the Publication content type.
The Publication Topics vocabulary gives you the ability to organize and categorize your publication content with taxonomy terms. These publication terms are included in the Filter by Topic bar in the default Publications list page, and can also be used as arguments within theLists paragraph, which allows you to create organized lists of publications on any page.
See Publication Taxonomy for more information.
Publications List Page
The default publications list page can be found by visiting [your site URL]/publications, and displays a dynamic listing of your publications with a Filter by Topic bar.
Editing the Default Publications List Page
The publications list page is also a basic page - which allows site managers to edit the page and add additional paragraphs as desired. When you edit the Publications page, you’ll see an included Publication List paragraph, which can be edited further to change the citation style (APA or Chicago), add arguments, or change the default number of items displayed in your list. See Using Publications with the Lists paragraph for more info.
Note: While you are free to edit the default publications list page, the filter by topics bar will remain on the page and will only be specific to Publication topic terms.
What if my site has an existing publications page at "/publications"?
If you own a site with an existing publications page at "[your site URL]/publications", your page will remain as is and will not be replaced by the default list page. If you would like to enable the default publications list page in the future, please submit a request through our Stanford Web Services ServiceNow form.
Using Publications with the Lists paragraph
The Lists paragraph type allows you to dynamically generate a list of publications on any page. Displayed publication info is based on the Citation Information that you create when adding a publication, and can be displayed in either APA or Chicago list format. Clicking a publication will route users to either an external URL or to a detailed individual publication page if no external URL was added.
Site managers can also create a custom publication list based on taxonomy terms, or limit the number of publications displayed in the list.
- While editing a page, drag and drop the Lists Paragraph into your desired row.
- Under List Format, select Publications.
- Within Display, select either APA List or Chicago List.
- Within Advanced Options, you can create a custom publication list by adding taxonomy terms as arguments, or limit the number of publications displayed in the list. The example below will display an APA List filtered to display only publications tagged as "Example Publication Topic Term" and limited to 2 items.
- Add optional Headline, Description, and Button.
- Click Continue to exit the Lists paragraph.
- Click Save.
Publications List with APA Styles
Publications List with Chicago Styles
Individual Publication Page
This page is displayed for a publication if no external link is added within Citation Information.